Statement: Arrest of Roman Polanski
Information, FDJP, 27.09.2009
- Roman Polanski was arrested on Saturday evening on entering Switzerland and was placed in provisional pre-extradition detention based on a US arrest warrant.
- Roman Polanski is wanted by the US authorities on the charge of committing a sexual act with a minor, specifically in a case dating from 1977 involving a 13-year-old girl in Los Angeles.
- The US authorities have been searching for Roman Polanski worldwide since the end of 2005.
- A US arrest warrant against Roman Polanski has existed since 1978.
- A decision as to whether or not Roman Polanski will actually be extradited to the USA will only be made once extradition proceedings have been completed. An appeal against pre-extradition detention and a decision to extradite can be submitted to the Federal Criminal Court. Those decisions can in turn be taken further to the Federal Supreme Court.
- Due to the ongoing nature of these proceedings no further information can be given at the present time.