The Internal Security Fund for external borders and visas (ISF Borders) was established for the period 2014–2020. It is the successor instrument to the External Borders Fund (EBF). The ISF, like the EBF before it, disburses project-tied funds to support Schengen States that incur high costs in protecting Schengen external borders as a result of their long land or maritime borders or large international airports. The fund seeks to improve the efficiency of border controls and thus the protection of external borders, and to lower the number of illegal entries.
The financial support earmarked to implement the fund comes to € 2.76 billion. Switzerland will receive allocations of nearly € 32.7 million from the fund for national measures over its entire duration. Over the fund’s seven-year period, Switzerland’s contribution will be € 120.2 million. Switzerland is therefore a net contributor – as it was also the case for the EBF– because our country's only Schengen external borders are its airports with international air traffic. Switzerland participates in the ISF Borders within the framework of its association with Schengen.
Due to an extensive procedure related to the adoption of the relevant legal basis, Switzerland has only been officially involved in the ISF Borders since 1 August 2018.
The State Secretariat for Migration is responsible for the implementation of the fund in Switzerland and is therefore the point of contact for questions on project submission.
(The following documents are not available in English)
- Nationales Programm der Schweiz ISF-Grenze (PDF, 1 MB, 13.07.2020)
- Programme national (PDF, 1 MB, 13.07.2020)
- Programma nazionale (PDF, 1005 kB, 13.07.2020)
- Förderbestimmungen (PDF, 914 kB, 16.07.2021)
- Manuel de soutien financier (PDF, 916 kB, 01.08.2021)
- Manuale sul sostegno finanziario (PDF, 956 kB, 01.08.2021)
- Formular Projektantrag (DOC, 295 kB, 13.07.2020)
- Demande de projet (DOC, 299 kB, 13.07.2020)
- Domanda di progetto (DOC, 297 kB, 13.07.2020)
- Finanzplan (XLS, 27 kB, 13.07.2020)
- Plan financier (XLS, 27 kB, 13.07.2020)
- Piano finanziario (XLS, 26 kB, 13.07.2020)
- FAQ (German) (PDF, 85 kB, 13.07.2020)
- FAQ (French) (PDF, 86 kB, 13.07.2020)
- FAQ (Italian) (PDF, 56 kB, 13.07.2020)
- Management Summary Halbzeitevaluierung ISF-Grenze (PDF, 206 kB, 13.07.2020)
- Management Summary Evaluation à mi-parcours de la mise en oeuvre du ISF-Frontières par la Suisse (PDF, 321 kB, 13.07.2020)
Management Summary Valutazione intermedia dell’ISF-Frontiere Svizzera (PDF, 349 kB, 13.07.2020)
(This document is not available in English)
- COM report to mid-term evaluation ISF-Borders (PDF, 1 MB, 13.07.2020)
Last modification 16.07.2021